Saturday, October 23, 2010

Jeremy and Timothy - the first weeks

The first night was difficult, Jeremy demanded to be fed continuously for almost 4 hours, leaving me with very sore nipples
For the next few days I had pain all over my body, from head to toe: swollen feet, sore incision wound, cracked nipples, cough, eye discharge (but doctor said it's not the contagious type as my scleras were not red)

Jeremy really looks like Timothy. Papa found pics of Timothy and when we put their pics together the resemblance is just so obvious

Jeremy is more graceful when being breastfed. According to "What to expect the 1st year" he is more of the "gourmet" type, while Timothy is the "barracuda". Jeremy would taste the nipple, smack his lips and then gracefully suckle. While Timothy would immediately charge and chase when being presented with nipple.

Jeremy can stop sucking when the breastmilk is overflowing (let down) and let the milk drips down his chin. I don't remember Timothy doing that. But both are choked and cough because the milk flow is just too much

Jeremy doesn't like to be held upright or sat down for burping. He would push his head backward so we have to hold him lying down again. Just like Timothy, he would remove the gloves or socks we put on him within 2 minutes. Both of them don't like being swaddled. Jeremy would kick and moan and try to pull his hands out.

Tio is a baby who follows text books, we can find the solutions for the problems we had with him in the books and usually the solutions work well. Or maybe because this time we didn't really have time to read all the books in advance nor when problems happened.

On the first check up at 1 week old Jeremy was suspected to have jaundice and doctor asked to get his blood tested for bilirubin level. If it's >15 then the baby has to undergo light treatment. Luckily Jeremy's was 9.8, which is lower than the threshold level of 10.
Doctor said the continuous feeding because he received nutrition all the time when he was in the womb, or maybe inadequate breastmilk. I think it's the first one :D coz I grazed when I was pregnant.
As for my checkup doctor said all's ok, the waterproof-bandage was removed and he taught hubby how to remove the "magictape"-like bandage which should be easily removed after shower.

Timothy takes all the changes well. But he clung to my sister when she and my mom were visiting. And he acted up too maybe because he knew he had other people to turn on to when his parents are upset. I realized I'm too emotional with him and had to tell myself all the time to calm down, though often times I failed. I really have to be kinder with him.

Hubby has been kinder to Timothy and now he has to take full time care of Timothy. I help when Jeremy is sleeping. Sometimes the timing was right, I could help Timothy when he needed me. But sometimes this happens: breastfeeding-poo-change of clothes-wake up-more breastfeeding-pee-change of clothes-wake up-more breastfeeding-poo-change of clothes-wake up...it could take more than one hour.

After all the convenience of taking care of a 3 yo boy, these changes are hard to take. But I just keep telling myself that this too will pass ;))

No comments: