Friday, August 13, 2004

Cantik

Kaya'nya udah basi ya... tapi anyway I want to write it down... if not for anyone, at least I do it for myself... so that I can read it over and over again when I need it :D I have a chronic lacking of self confidence, now I'm better than I was in my earlier phases of life, but it still occurs every now and then.....

Every woman wants to be beautiful... the producers of cosmetics, the owners of slimming and beauty clinics, the fashion designers want women to want to be beautiful....

Definition of beauty

My conclusion on what is called a beautiful woman by today's society in general
1. if you have a barbie-like body
2. if you have fair or white complexion with no flaws
3. if you have long, black or beautifully dyed, flowing hair

Well if you are lacking one - or all the above, like I am -... it might be comforting to read what I got from an email down below.... and to know that some people also define confidence, intellectual, cheerful disposition, or kindness as beauty.... there are things we can change and there are things we cannot change.... here's my favorite

GOD, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.


short version of The Serenity Prayer - Reinhold Neibuhr-1926


Though there are different ways of defining beauty too, but it's not the mainstream. Like in the previous century, the more plump a woman is, the more beautiful - gosh, I wish I had lived in that era, hehehe -. Or in the Northern part of Thailand, I heard that the longer the neck is the more beautiful (the Long neck Padaung tribe in Mae Hong Sorn)....

Facts on Figures

There are 3 billion women who don't look like supermodels and only eight who do (christine's comment: sometimes I take a look on my surrounding and count how many women really look like supermodels, not so many, really)

If Barbie was a real woman, she'd have to walk on all fours due to her proportions.

The average woman weighs 144 lbs. (christine's comment: it means 72 kg, I think this was not measured from Asian women) and wears between size 12-14.

One out of every four college-aged women has an eating disorder.

The models in the magazines are airbrushed -- not perfect!

A psychological study in 1995 found that three minutes spent looking at a fashion magazine caused 70% of women to feel depressed, guilty, and shameful.

Models twenty years ago weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today they weigh 23% less.


No comments: