Friday, August 06, 2004

I know Who holds tomorrow

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
and I know Who holds my hand.

- I know Who holds tomorrow - gospel - LeAnn Rimes -

This morning the Graduation Ceremony was held. I went there to meet the happy graduants with their loved ones who have travelled a long way to share the happiness. Then at midday, the Indonesian community has a celebration lunch together with our Education Attache. The food was great, the ladies in our community are all great cooks -except me hehehe-. Then I went to see the OTOP (One Tamboon One Product) exhibition. I went alone coz my kangmas was having a seminar. He's so busy these last 2 weeks and also next week, but it's OK, we still have our good times together. Ouch I ended up buying so many food stuffs (as always hehehe):

1. honey -ok, it's healthy n we don't have to finish it soon-,
2. miang kham -a unique Thai delicacy: wild tea or betel leaves served with tidbits of dried shrimp, tiny pieces of chilli, ginger and garlic, toasted shredded coconut, slices of unpeeled lemon, and topped with sweet and savory sauce
3. steamed sweet made of young coconut meat, coconut milk and rice fluor
4. fried pork on sugar cane
5. corn milk
6. sala pao / bak pao

I was thinking of what these graduants with happy faces will do next.... some already got jobs, others are still trying to find one.

Yeah... this graduation ceremony reminds me of my own, which was held on Aug 17, 2001. Gosh it was 3 years ago. I was happy cos I got the award (which I have not expected, it's a long story) and I was selected to go to Europe for a three-months training programme. I was excited coz it was the first time I went to Europe. I did not really think of finding a job before the graduation because of this. And I was so busy before the graduation. Coz I had to make up for my lateness in doing research and I finished all the correction only on the day before the graduation. It was so hectic, coz I had to prepare for the Europe trip too: visa, insurance, warm clothes (the place was very near to the arctic line, me! the heat-loving me! the strange thing is after that trip I got cold so easily. Psst, kangmas, that's why I need warmth all the time hehehe ;P). OK, enough wandering off my points.

Then I applied for jobs during my stay in Europe, thinking that my chance to get a job there is bigger if I apply from a Europe country. But I found out that it is not that easy. Paper business was slowing down due to the new mills built up in Asia, lower production cost with similar or better quality. Unemployment is high too in Europe. So... no interview calls were received. But when I got back to my campus for a short while to attend the wedding party of a friend (who later became my work-mate, it was a pleasant surprise!) I got information on one available position, which is my current job. I love this job... though sometimes it's quite tough and stressful, I have to travel a lot and long working hours.

Now... now... in December my contract will end, and my kangmas' before that. So we are now hunting for new jobs.... Oh... I hate times like this. Uncertainties are everywhere... but what can we do? Everybody has moments like this in their life.....

Yeah.... as long as we have faith... that He has a beautiful plan for us.... then we'll be strong....

2 comments:

teano said...

cari kerja disini aja tante...enak kok ^^...hehehe...biar saya ada teman :D

* said...

hehehehe... thanks banget tawarannya tante Ria.. kita cobain juga kok ;-)